He announced his candidacy for Mar-a-Lago in a speech that lasted over an hour. I’ve gone through the transcript and excerpted the lines you need to see.
1. “There has never been anything like this, this great movement of ours. There has never been anything like it, and maybe there will never be anything like it again .
Modesty, your name is Donald Trump. Here we go !
2. “Together, we have built the greatest economy in the history of the world.”
This is an oldie-but-goodie from Trump’s 2020 speech. And his still not true.
3. “A lot of people think that for this reason, China played a very active role in the 2020 elections. I’m just saying.
Trump here is suggesting that because his administration was tough on China, China somehow interfered in the 2020 election. There’s no – as you’ve probably guessed by now – any evidence to support this assertion.
4. “The vicious caliphate of ISIS, which no president could conquer, was decimated by me and our great warriors in less than three weeks.”
5. “And yet I have gone decades, decades without war. The first president to do so for such a long time.
Uh, he was president for four years. So …
6. “Now we are a failing nation. We are a failing nation.
UNITED STATES! UNITED STATES!
7. “Our southern border has been obliterated and our country is overrun by millions and millions of strangers, many of whom are entering for a very bad and sinister reason. And you know what that reason is.
Actually, I don’t know what that reason is.
8. “The bloodstained streets of our once great cities are cesspools of violent crime.”
9. “And Ukraine, which would never have happened if I was your president.”
It’s reminiscent of what Trump said at the 2016 Republican National Convention: “Only I can fix it.”
10. “With words of wisdom, he said ‘thank you’ to the wrong country for inviting him to a big summit.”
Joe Biden recently made a verbal error during the Association of Southeast Asian Nations summit, thanking the Colombian prime minister when he was talking about Cambodia.
11. “You can’t mention the word nuclear. It’s too devastating.
He just mentioned it.
12. “Under Biden and the radical Democrats, America has been mocked, ridiculed and brought to its knees, perhaps like never before.”
This is a central theme of Trumpism and will likely be a major talking point during the 2024 election campaign. It creates an image of America as a supplicant, begging other countries for things when we should dominate them. He ran on that same message, to considerable effect, in 2016.
13. “I believe the American people will overwhelmingly reject the left’s platform of national ruin.”
Democrats running on a platform of “national ruin”?
14. “A lot of criticism is placed on the fact that the Republican Party should have done better. And frankly, much of that blame is correct.
To be clear: Trump accepts no blame for what happened in the midterm elections. He says here that people who blame other Republicans for the performance of the party are right.
15. “I want to point out that at the halfway mark, my success rate was 232 wins and only 22 losses.”
Like I said, he accepts no blame. It’s also worth pointing out here that Trump endorsed many Republican candidates who were big favorites – completing his record of wins and losses.
16. “It’s an elegant night and an elegant place.”
“Elegant” is a word for it.
17. “I’m not going to use the term ‘fake news media.’ So we’ll keep it very elegant.
He just used the term. And I’m going to start keeping things “very elegant” from now on.
18. “Despite the result in the Senate, we cannot lose hope and we must all work very hard for a gentleman and a great person named Herschel Walker.”
Many prominent Republicans, including South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, had urged Trump to delay his 2024 announcement until after the Georgia Senate runoff on Dec. 6. Trump, uh, didn’t take that advice.
19. “I said, ‘If you keep a little lower level, you’re going to get a big win. “”
This is Trump trying to turn the election results — in which Republicans significantly underperformed expectations — into a victory.
20. “There are a lot of bad things, like going to Idaho and saying, ‘Welcome to the state of Florida, I really love it.'”
Trump appears to be referring to a fake 2020 report on a satirical website that Biden confused Iowa and Idaho. This story has been debunked.
21. “In order to make America great and glorious again, I am announcing my candidacy for President of the United States tonight.”
22. “Some people say, ‘How do you talk in front of so many people all the time?’ When there’s love in the room, it’s really easy, if you want to know the truth.
Do people really say that?
23. “If you look at the numbers, if you look at what’s happened with Hispanics, African Americans, Asians, and just look at what’s going on.”
24.” This will not be my campaign. This will be our campaign.
It’s a good line. Probably Trump’s best speech.
25. “And we love both sides.”
Trump has spent most of his speech so far declaring that the Democrats have run the country into the ground. And yet, he loves them?
26. “We are going to unify people. And that was in the previous administration, before the previous one.
“Previous to previous.”
27. “Before Covid, people were calling me. … You wouldn’t believe it, people who were so left wing, I figured they would never talk to me and I would never talk to them.
Trump seems to be claiming here that very liberal people used to call him, pre-Covid, to tell him what an amazing job he was doing. Which, well, probably not.
28. “We call it the Chinese virus.”
He calls it the “Chinese virus”.
29. “So between now and Election Day, and 2024 coming very soon, we’ll watch how time flies.”
Uh… more than 720 days!
30. “And I say that not laughing, I say that in tears.”
“I really can’t tell, I guess I’m laughing so as not to cry.” – Q-tip
31. “We don’t want to be critics. We don’t want to complain. I never wanted to be critics.”
He said that with a straight face.
32. “Everyone will agree with us because everyone sees what a bad job has been done in this two year period, and it will be a four year period.”
By 2024, everyone will agree with Trump!
33. “I didn’t need this. I had a nice easy life.
It’s a regular Trump refrain. The idea is that he only shows up because the problems facing the country are so important and only he can solve them. That his campaign is somehow a selfless act.
34. “I was with President Xi, who is now president for life. I call him ‘king’. He said, ‘No, no, I’m not the king.’ I said, ‘Yes, you’re the king. You’re president for life. It’s the same thing.'”
Trump’s admiration for someone who can be “president for life” shines through here loud and clear.
35. “No one remembers her now.”
Trump is talking here about former German Chancellor Angela Merkel who, apparently, no one remembers anymore.
36. “You can’t get anything. And good luck getting a turkey for Thanksgiving.
Sorry, friends. Thanksgiving is cancelled! See you next year!
37. “You’ve been up for the whole thing. I feel very guilty. I don’t want this.
[narrator voice] He doesn’t feel guilty.
38. “We built the wall. We have finished the wall. And then we said, “Let’s do more,” and we did a lot more.
Asset did not finish the border wall.
39. “Cities are rotting, and they are truly bloody sewers.”
Well, it’s a picture!
40. “In the caravans. I love the name. I found it. I love the name.
Donald Trump invented the word “caravan”?
41. “We don’t need blue ribbon committees anymore.”
The war on blue ribbon committees starts today!
42. “If you are caught selling drugs, you have an immediate and speedy trial. And at the end of the day, you’re executed. It’s a terrible thing.
Trump describes how drug traffickers are treated in China. And if you think he actually thinks that’s a bad thing, I have a video rental company called Blockbuster which is hot stock you might be interested in.
43. “That’s the only answer, no more ‘blue tape.’ I refuse to create them anymore.
Yes, you said it.
44. “My people said to me, ‘Sir, that’s politically incorrect to say.’ I said, ‘It’s okay. I’ll say it anyway, if you don’t mind.
Always beware when Trump starts with “sir”.
45. “I don’t like to think of myself as a politician, but I guess that’s what I am. I hate that thought.
He said this after announcing his third run for the White House.
46. ”I’m a victim. I’ll tell you.”
Again, yes, he said that with a straight face.
47. “They spend all the money on machines and stuff and they end up two weeks later, three weeks later, by which time everyone forgot there was even an election.”
Donald Trump: Not a fan of machines.
48. “Our country was great. Our country is no longer big.
UNITED STATES! UNITED STATES!
49. “Anyone who truly seeks to tackle this rigged and corrupt system will face a firestorm that only a few could understand.”
“Storm of Fire” was the name of my second album.
50. “I think he’s had more subpoenas than any man in the history of our country.”
Trump is talking about his son Eric here. And yeah, it’s weird to single him out so you can brag about how many subpoenas he’s gotten.
51. “I come home and she says, ‘You look angry and upset. I say, ‘Leave me alone.’
Trump is referring to his wife here. Marital happiness, ladies and gentlemen! Yeah, that’s a good place to end.