Herschel Walker in Macon, Georgia on Oct. 20. Photo: Jessica McGowan/Getty Images
A second woman alleged that Herschel walkerthe Republican candidate in The Georgia Senate Racewas implicated in her abortion.
The big picture: Walker took a strong anti-abortion position in the hotly contested Senate race this year midterm election cycle.
Driving the news: The woman, who was identified by attorney Gloria Allred as ‘Jane Doe’, at a press conference on Wednesday, claimed Walker ‘pushed’ her into having an abortion after learning she was pregnant in April 1993.
- “I was devastated because I felt I had been pressured into having an abortion.”
- The woman said she was motivated to come forward because she saw Walker deny another woman’s allegations that he paid for her to have an abortion.
- “In particular, I saw him state that the woman’s claims were not true because he had never signed any cards using the letter ‘H,'” Doe said.
- “I knew that wasn’t true because he had often signed letters to me using ‘H.'”
- She said she preferred to remain anonymous for “fear of reprisals” against herself, her family and her livelihood.
Details: Doe said she began an intimate relationship with Walker in the late 80s in Dallas while he was playing football for the Cowboys.
- “After discussing the pregnancy with Herschel on several occasions, he encouraged me to have an abortion and gave me the money to do so,” Doe said.
- “I went to a clinic in Dallas, but I just couldn’t go through with it. I left the clinic in tears. When I told Herschel what happened, he was upset and said he was going to come back with me to the clinic the next day to have an abortion.He then drove me to the clinic the next day and waited for hours in the parking lot until I so.
- “He then drove me to get medicine and supplies as prescribed and then drove me home.”
To note : Doe, who said she was a registered independent and voted for former President Trump in 2016 and 2020, said, “I don’t believe Herschel is morally fit to be a U.S. senator.”
What he says : “Now the Democrats are doing and saying everything they can to win this seat,” Walker said in an appearance on Wednesday. “But I want them to know they don’t know Hershel Walker. …. I told them when I was in that race, I’m going to win. They see now that I’m going to win.
Catch up fast: The first allegation, from the mother of one of Walker’s children, involved a receipt from an abortion clinic and a check signed by Walker. walker said BNC News that he gave a $700 check to a former associate in 2009, but he allegations denied that the money was used to pay for an abortion.
- Following the first report, Walker’s son, Christian accused his father to lie about his past in several social media posts.
- A number of prominent Republicans, including Trump, and the Republican National Senate Committee doubled down on their support for Walker after the first allegation.
This story has been updated with additional details throughout.